APP’s Latino Partnership supports comprehensive immigration reform that focuses on the following five points:
- Strengthen Border Security. We must continue to strengthen border security to combat drug trafficking and discourage immigrants from risking their lives to cross illegally into the country.
- Prioritize Internal Enforcement. Federal immigration enforcement resources and actions should focus on immigrants involved in criminal activity rather than workplace raids and “audits” that harm both workers and employers.
- Legalize the Undocumented. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good, hard working people who are doing jobs Americans do not want or for which there are simply no Americans of working age available. We should establish a path for undocumented immigrants to earn legal status after paying a penalty for having entered the country illegally.
- Create a Guest Worker Program. Immigrants are not competing with Americans for jobs. They are doing jobs that are vital to our economy, but that Americans, for various reasons, are not doing. The economic growth and stability of the nation depends on the capacity of American business and industry to recruit foreign workers as needed. Current work visa quotas are too limited and have been set arbitrarily by Congress. We must create a Guest Worker Program that allows for the entry of foreign workers as the needs of our economy dictate.
- Promote Patriotic Assimilation. Immigrants who remain in the U.S. as permanent residents as well as those who become citizens should learn English, learn and identify with the principles upon which our country was founded, and study the basics of U.S history. New Americans’ attachment to the nation and our institutions is essential for the preservation of the social cohesion of our political community.